Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Scrap Yarn Blanket - Knitting Project

My uncle was kind enough to give me lots of yarn recently when cleaning out his house. I love getting yarn, but the pile in the corner of the bed room is threatening to take over so I figured I needed to come up with a knitting project to use up LOTS of yarn.

I piled up all my yarn and sorted it into fiber type and weight.  I ended up with the biggest pile of worsted weight acrylic, so I thought a nice big blanket would be a good project.  I wanted a project that I could change colors easily whenever I ran out of scrap yarn and one that could grow to the size of the amount of yarn I had. I also didn't want something to complicated as this was something mostly to keep me occupied while watching TV in the evening.

My good friend recommended a pattern on Ravelry called the Ten Stitch Blanket by Frankie Brown
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ten-stitch-blanket
Here's a picture of her completed design


This pattern was perfect for my scrap yarn because it grows from the inside out, I can switch colors wherever I want, and it has nice visual interest without being overly complicated.
The only tricky parts are turning the corners.

So I picked out a big ball of ivory, bright blue, and smaller balls of navy blue, olive and brown.
Here's my project in progress.

I don't know if copyright laws would allow me to repost Frankie's pattern, so if you want to give it a try for your next scrap yarn knitting project, just follow the link above and the pattern download is right up there in the corner on the Ravelry site. It's a free pattern but it is copyrighted by Frankie Brown and is intended for private use. If you like to knit or crochet, definitely think about joining Ravelry. It's free and a fun way to share projects and find neat patterns.  If you do, come find me. I'm crazyhat.

Until then, happy knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment