Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Walking in Colorado : Van Bibber Park

It's officially May, and one of the nicest months for being out of doors in my opinion.  This month I decided to go on walks all around Colorado and document them on my blog. Hopefully they will be informative or inspiring.  Even if it is a quick walk in the neighborhood, I always feel great after I've gotten outside for a bit.

Today I went to Van Bibber Park, which is part of the Jefferson County Open Space.  It's off Ward Rd, just south of 58th Street in Arvada.  The main path is a 1.5 mile paved trail (3 miles round trip) ideal for walking, jogging, or biking.  It's very popular with families, people with dogs and runners. There's also dirt trails if you want a little variety in your walking. I love to go here because it is pretty in all seasons and is a pocket of nature very close to home.

Here's a link to their website which contains a trail map:  http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R20.htm

Van Bibber Park

There is a stream that goes through the park, which supports lots of wildlife from birds to bunnies, and even a coyote family which I've seen a few times.  Walking down the trail there is a constant soundtrack of meadowlarks and red winged blackbirds. Robins, magpies and other birds hop near the trail and if you look at the very tall trees at the edge of the park you may see an owl or hawk.


Nestled along the stream there are stands of old and narly cottonwood trees.  They are so picturesque nestled into the valley.



There are picnic tables and benches along the trail.  Sometimes I've come just to sit there to listen to the birds and the breeze in the trees.  Today I saw an eastern blue jay hopping around on this picnic table. I don't know what it was doing in Colorado.

 

The trail runs along some major power lines, which can be a little annoying due to the constant hum, but it isn't too distracting, and I have seen hawks and eagles perched on the lines.  The path winds all the way over to Indiana Street, where there is another small parking lot, where I turn around and head back.  The houses that border the park near Indiana St. abound with rabbits hopping around their fences.

 

It works out for me to be about a one hour walk, which is perfect for a weekday; at lunch or in the evenings. And I always feel happier after I've gotten to get outside for an hour to enjoy the great weather, the sunshine, and a little bit of nature.  


  I'm hoping my next walk will be the Pawnee Grasslands this weekend.


Happy Trails!

2 comments:

  1. I've surfed the net more than three hours today, and your blog was the coolest of all. Thanks a lot, it is really useful to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I am glad that it was useful.

    ReplyDelete